Coconut water deserves a post all by itself for its amazing properties. I must drink coconut water at least 5 times a week. Curious about the nutritional value of coconut water, here are some amazing facts:
- Coconut water is a natural isotonic beverage with same amount of electrolytes in human blood. This means, coconut water can be used for plasma transfusions! It’s a universal donor!
- Alternative to medical saline
- Low in fat and no cholestrol
- Contains more potassium than sports drinks
- Naturally sterile because the husk filters the water
- Can reduce kidney stones
- Great for the skin
- Can treat intestinal worms with a tsp. of olive oil
Upon reading that coconut water can also treat intestinal worms, Si and I tried the 3 day regimen of taking a tsp of olive with coconut water. Not sure if it worked but I like how the remedy is all natural.
Fresh coconuts are bountiful in Vietnam. Coconut vendors expertly husk the coconut with a sharp knife and cut a hole into the shell. Refrigerated/cooler coconuts are the best because I prefer my coconut water cold. After I drink up the water, I use a spoon and scrape out the coconut meat to eat. A great thirst quencher and a yummy snack/dessert in one.